After nearly 56 years of providing a home for students, demolition was started on Wiest Hall on August 3oth, 2017. Students lined the side walk behind Wiest to watch the building come down. Before any physical destruction started, asbestos abatement had to be done first.
Contractors demolished the building by a wrecking ball instead of explosives because the new dormitory stands only 35 feet away. Wiest Hall was named after Dr. Charles Wiest, who was appointed Emeritus Professor of Philosophy and Religion at Fort Hays back in 1927.
The four-story Wiest Hall dormitory was built in 1961 and the seven-story addition followed ten years later. It originally accommodated only men. Before the structure was replaced by Victor E. Village, it housed about 470 co-ed students. Victor E. Village just finished construction to the north of Wiest Hall this year, and students got to move into the new community this fall semester. It has enough space to provide housing to over 400 first year students. A new, 300-space parking lot will take place of where Wiest Hall used to stand.