It’s the New Year. A time to start fresh. Was your resolution to get healthy? How have you been reaching your goals? If you need help getting on track and staying on track, read on.
Healthy Food Alternatives To Try In Hays
While there are lots of food options to choose from in Hays, some might not be the best choices if you’re watching what you eat.
You can cut calories is to order an “unwich” at Jimmy Johns instead of having a normal sandwich. An “unwich” uses lettuce in place of bread, which cuts the amount of carbohydrates from 56g to 2g. Don’t forget to add on extra veggies or meat if you’re looking to up your protein intake.
There are lots of restaurants that offer salads, which is a great option, but watch out for the amount of fat in dressings and the false promise of “health conscious” selections .
The Fresh Kale & Grilled Chicken salad at Schlotzsky’s has 630 calories, while the Smoked Turkey Breast sandwich has only 330 calories. If a salad is more your taste, dress them sparingly or look for fat-free dressings.
Coffee shops are popping up everywhere in Hays. I’m a coffee addict myself, and while I’ll occasionally enjoy a frappe, I also know that they’re pretty much a drinkable dessert with a shot of espresso.
Starbucks Frappuccinos are loaded with sugar, and that delicious whipped cream on top has 7.5g of saturated fat. Depressing, I know, but if you can’t go without your cup of Joe, order skinny! Skinny drinks are made with skim milk and sugar-free flavoring. A skinny latte tastes so similar to a regular one, you won’t notice a difference. You’ll save loads of calories, and still get to enjoy your (almost) guilt-free drink!
If you have a craving for ice cream, which I get almost daily, you’re not far from an ice cream shop. But you already know ice cream isn’t the most healthy food you can eat. If you want to stop packing on those pounds, but can’t seem to keep your spoon out of the tub, pick up a pint of protein ice cream. Skip the Dairy Queen and Freddy’s Frozen Custard and head to Walmart for Arctic Zero or Dillon’s for Halo Top.
Arctic Zero has so many flavors to choose from like Cake Batter and Poppin’ Pomegranate, and you can have the whole pint for just 150 calories. They’re fat-free, lactose-free, and use whey protein.
Halo Top is my personal favorite. The texture is so similar to regular ice cream. The calorie count ranges from 240 to 360 per pint. They come in classic flavors like Vanilla Bean and and Strawberry, or you can try something new like Chocolate Mocha Chip or Lemon Cake. Half a cup will provide you with 6g of protein, and you can curb your sweet tooth without ruining your diet. These alternative choices saved me so much guilt and have kept me sane.
Ways To Stay Active In Hays
Being healthy means being active. There are so many opportunities to get active in Hays, whether it’s going to a fitness center, doing a marathon, or just getting some extra activity in during your day, you can find a chance to better yourself.
If you’re wanting to do a marathon, people in Hays put on runs throughout the year. You can go for a personal record or walk the distance. It’s certain you’ll find others who share the same goal as you, so make it an opportunity to meet some new people to share your journey with. Hays also has so many walking trails and parks; use them!
Gather your friends and play some volleyball at Sonic’s volleyball court or get a pickup basketball game going at the Aubel Bickle or Massey Park.
Use the tennis courts and ball parks Hays has to offer.
During the summer, visit the Hays Aquatic Park and swim some laps while you cool off.
Hays Gyms Galore
There are so many gyms and fitness centers in town, you’re bound to find one that’s right for you. What’s important to you in a gym? Would personal training keep you accountable? Does a 24 hour gym accommodate your crazy schedule. Maybe group classes that give you a workout routine would help you out. What amenities would you enjoy? Centers that are kid-friendly are great for parents.
- The Center at Hays Med offers personal training, massage therapy, group classes (including aquatic, spinning, Zumba, and Pilates), and child care. The Center also houses a juice bar which has things like smoothies, salad, and other healthy foods. Visit haysmed.com/thecenter or give them a call at (785) 623-5900.
- A membership at Hays Recreation Commission might be right for you if you’re interested in intramurals. The HRC offers basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, and softball leagues along with personal training, group classes, and even online workouts if you’re a member. Check out what else they offer at haysrec.org, call the fitness center at (785) 623-2658, or call the HRC at (785) 623-2650.
- If you’re a student or faculty at Fort Hays, take advantage of the Wellness Center gym and their group classes, all for free! With it being right on campus, it can’t get any easier. Don’t let the dreaded freshman 15 catch up to you. Visit them at fhsu.edu/tigerwellness or (785) 628-5908.
- If your life is crazy hectic, and you don’t know when you’ll have time to make it to the gym, one that’s 24 hour is right for you. Enjoy the ease of being able to come and go as you please at Main Street Gym & Fitness, where members can go any time of day or night. Sweat it out in the sauna and get bronzed in the tanning bed. Take a group class, or get personal training for a more one-on-one experience. Get your black belt in Tae Kwon Do by going through the ranks and learning from owner Scott Biske. You don’t even have to go anywhere to get your supplements. Buy protein, pre-workout, and more right at the front desk. Give them a call at (785) 625-9404 or go to haysgym.com.
- The newest gym in town is Munsch Fitness. They’re also 24 hour, so you never need to worry about getting your workout in before the gym closes. Grab a smoothie after your workout at the smoothie bar. Burn some calories in the state-of-the-art saunas. Choose from either a standup tanning bed or a lay down one to keep your summer glow all year long. Kids can stay entertained while you work up a sweat by playing Xbox Kinect or go old school with the arcade games. To make the most of your workouts, choose from their array of supplements at the front. Check it out at munschfitness.com or call at (785) 621-8833.
- If CrossFit is more your pace, Southwind CrossFit is the place to go. They cater to your athletic ability, and you’ll never be at a loss as to what workout you’re going to do that day. Everything is done for you, you just have to put in the work. Choose from group or personal coaching. Be warned though, once you try it out, you’ll be addicted. See what Southwind CrossFit is all about at southwindcrossfit.com or (785) 432-1088.
- If you want a truly all-in-one experience, look no further than Jump Start Health & Fitness. Here, clients can have meals catered to their needs prepared fresh and delivered right to their door. Individual and small group personal training include hot barre, spinning, HIIT strength, and hot kettleball. At Jump Start, you’re bound to have success in reaching your health goals, because you have both nutrition and exercise in one place. Check them out at jumpstarthealthadnfitness.com or call at (785) 621-4354 or (785) 259-1310.
Get healthy, not just for yourself, but for your family too. You can finally achieve your fitness goals, and now’s the perfect time to start. Don’t let another year slip by. Invest in your health, and take advantage of all the oppertunities Hays has to offer to help you succeed.